Friday, October 14, 2011

Road Trip - Junk to Jewelry




Over the past several years the wonderful world of jewelry has been expanding its boundaries. Creating jewelry from found objects seems to be the new trend. One benefit of designing jewelry this way is that each item created is a completely unique piece loaded with character and most likely will never be exactly replicated. I love reusing old discarded objects - junk so to speak - and perusing through thrift stores, looking at unlikely items and wondering how I can transform them into wearable art .

I named this piece Road Trip. I think that's appropriate for a couple of reasons. First (and most obvious)...it reminds me of an old clunky pickup that has traveled many miles of road over its long, tough and dependable life. Second...it was my first mixed media jewelry creation and it represents a new journey and direction that I look forward to exploring.



This road trip began with the following thrift store finds:
denim overalls, a gauge, and old cash register buttons from a mechanics garage

The gauge was a little hard to disassemble. I removed the casing and discovered that the metal face was riveted to the lower metal piece. When I asked Hubby to cut it apart for me he replied, as any man would, "You ruined a perfectly good gauge!"

Once all the parts and pieces were disassembled, it was time to make them look like they had spent years out on the road. I added some "rust" with brown acrylic paint.
It looked good but still not quite right.  It was perfect though, once I added a layer
of metallic copper spray paint.

I put all the bits and pieces together and filled the gauge/bezel with Ice resin. I used packing tape to back the buckle/clasp thingy, filled it with resin and added the gas, oil and chg buttons. After the resin was set, I added a zipper (from the same pair of overalls).


A handmade copper chain consisting of funky links was added
bringing this piece to its final destination!

This rivet has the no boundaries trade mark...very appropriate for this project!



I'm happy to say that this piece came together without any major roadblocks!




Take a road trip  from the usual - it's amazing what you can create with no boundaries!

Kathy

22 comments:

  1. WOW.... amazing! I thought the gauge had been out in the elements for ages. You are one talented gal. Thanks much for your sweet comments on my blog. Now I'm off to look at more goodies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found ya via blog hopping and had to stop in and say hello, LOVE all your creativity and space here.. Excited to get to share in more blog fun reads and inspiration from ya.. I'm officially following ya.. I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com - hope you can stop in sometime.. TY

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is great! Your creativity is amazing....from the jewelry, to your writing. I don't know why you don't think you're good at writing, I think you're great! I'm going to have to get some of that ice resin, its looks like fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! You really did a fabulous job of aging it...I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such unique pieces you've created! Thanks for leaving me a comment on my ribbon-tied pumpkins. I appreciate you taking the time to stop in.
    michellepaige.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic !!!!

    I love it :)

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work! Such a great composition of interesting things. I think it's incredible how aged you made them look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is WAY. TOO. COOL!!!

    I LOVE it. Rusty. Repurposed. FUN!!!

    Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps. found you off Donna's blog party link..Funky Junk...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just make the coolest junk jewelry ever! LOVE this piece every bit as much as the S and P shakers. So cool!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cool. I've been picking up rocks when I take the dog for a walk. I need to be looking for something different. There are still things in my dad's garage that i bet I could fool with. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a brilliant and beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful piece! Great job, never would have thought to use those things as jewelry~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your projects are amazing and so beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again this Wednesday!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this piece! I saved all the clasps off my overalls when my girls told me it was time to stop wearing them. (threatened to call "What Not To Wear). I knew that some day I would find a use for them. Thanks for such a great project idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work excites my sensibilities! I love found objects, art jewelry of all kinds, collage, etc. I look forward to seeing your creations now - I'm a new follower!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. Back when I saw this the first time at Donna's linky party over at Funky Junk, I hadn't dreamed someday I'd be hosting a party and see this fabulous creation linked up on my blog. This fun 'road trip' piece one of my favorites! Thanks so much for sharing it at The Mother Lode linky party over at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just looked at the parts for your design on the ICE Resin blog and had to see what you created - very cool indeed!
    Good rusting technique - the gauge really does look old! The wired wrapped links blend in perfectly with the feel of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your first mixed media piece? i am blown away by that - you are a natural... the way you aged it, the use of the buckle... really really just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  20. FUN Jewelry---love the "rustic look"!
    Lin Star

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy