Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wrapped Loops Tutorial - Basic Wire Working Technique Series

I taught myself basic wire working skills by surfing the net, watching videos, and studying tutorials and with lots and lots of practice! I was surprised at the willingness of so many artists to share their experiences and techniques; it was through their generosity that I was able to develop my own set of skills.

Now that I have my own blog, I'm excited to have the chance to share some of my knowledge with you. Over the next several days I will be posting a few basic wire working techniques. Please keep in mind that I am self-taught and am sharing what works best for me; I suggest you browse several other artists' blogs also to learn their techniques and suggestions.

Today I will be showing you how to make a wrapped loop. In my opinion, wrapped loops are the most basic, yet essential technique to master as they are used in almost every wire design to connect links, dangles, charms, chain, etc.


Tools and Supplies:
Pliers: round-nose and chain-nose
Flush cutters (one side of the cutters are flush and make a straight cut, the other side makes a "V" cut)
Small jewelers file
Wire: I've used copper for my photos. I suggest you begin with copper; it's malleable which makes it easy to work with and it's inexpensive.


Place the chain-nose pliers about 1 1/2" from one end of the wire length. Use your finger to bend the wire at a 90 degree angle.


Place the round-nose pliers at the bend on the wire end that you just bent. The loop size will be determined by where on the pliers you place the wire; smallest at the tip and largest at the bottom.
TIP: I almost always place the wire at the very bottom; this helps to keep consistency in the loop size when I am making several loops for the same project.


 Use your finger to bend the wire around the pliers.


You will need to reposition the pliers and then continue to bend the wire around until you form a loop with a tail extending outward.


Now place the chain-nose pliers over the loop
(this will help you to hold it without it slipping).


Use your fingers to wrap the tail tightly
around the wire directly below the loop 3-4 times.


Use the flush cutters to trim the wire; be sure to
place the straight cutting side against the wrappings.


Use the chain-nose pliers to tuck the wire down tightly.
If necessary, file the cut edge smooth.


Your finished piece should look like this.



This necklace is a good example of how the wrapped loop was used to make several beaded links to fashion a handcrafted chain.


Start practicing and by the time I post the next tutorial
you will have mastered the wrapped loop and
will be ready to learn how to make links.

Sharing with: It's Overflowing: Overflowing With Creativity, The Shady Porch: Rock 'N Share, Southern Lovely: Show & Share, Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday, I Gotta Create: Kiss & Tell, Delicate Construction: dc Friday, Creation Corner: Friday Link Party, Fireflies and Jellybeans: Show Off Your Stuff, Happy-Go-Lucky: Your Time to Shine, One Artsy Mama: Shine on Fridays, funky Junk Interiors: SNS
Pin It

27 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! LOVE this! I don't get much time to do jewelry crafting, but when I do, I have to find someone willing to share their knowledge so I can learn. Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned and mastered! Looking forward to seeing more tutorials! Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - your jewelry is amazing! I can't get over your creativity with the shoes!! I love to dabble making jewelry and you've inspired me to think outside the box!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!! You make it look so easy. And your finished necklace is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tut' Kathy... I agree with Moogie...easy and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...one question...

    As you know, I'm NOT a jewelry artist, but is that ONE continuous wire through each bead - looped, turned, threaded through, looped and turned again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Kathy! I've pinned this so I can work on it later! You make it look easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Kathy, I am trying to become a follower but the "follower button" does not show up each time I bring up your blog - I will keep checking - but just so you know - I am manually following you....LOL
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhhh - thank you! The pictures you shared really helped tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it takes some patience and you help by breaking it down step by step! Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and skill at the Kiss & Tell party over at my place, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great tutorial with wonderful pictures! You are going to have us all jewelry makers in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! I'm happy Tina sent me to your blog. I'm so inspired by your works that I think I'll go broke buying supplies. At least I can save money by making my own fittings. I was wondering the best gage in which to make them? Thanks for putting up the tutorial. It made things much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous ideas!

    Thank you so much for taking the time to join our Pin'Inspiration party this week. I'm hoping that you'll pop by tomorrow and share at my "Beat The Winter Blues" party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet of you to share...and the finished necklace looks amazing :) Thanks for stopping, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it to pieces!! Thanks so much for linking up to Overflowing with Creativity!! Have you entered my giveaway yet?

    XO, Aimee

    Customizable Frames, Signs, Wall Decor

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic tutorial! Looking forward to the rest of the series! Thanks for sharing at shine on fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ive practiced this technique a few times, and I need to practice a few times more haha thank you for such a straightforward/simple tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going out to buy some copper wire tomorrow to give this a try. Thank you for posting it!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! I just made my first bracelet this morning and I could have used this! I'm going to practice today! THanks for sharing and I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just (fortunately) come across this website - it's fantastic! I am just getting into jewellery design and the advice/ tutorials on this website is just what I need to get me started! I hope in time I will be able to do some of the harder stuff too! Thank you so much for taking the time to put all this online and for sharing your techniques. The photos used are also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so wonderfully done and so helpful to others. Simple and useful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so nice to sharing yr skill Kathy...i appreciate it much and you ve very inspired me. Thank u so much Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for what you do and for sharing. Your creations are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I am a beginner in jewelry-making and this helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! wonderful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing. It is very useful and helpful to us

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful wraps. I want to get into wire jewelry and was planning on ordering some supplies soon. What gauge wire do you use in the tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the wire work and how gorgeous it works with the stones! Thanks for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    I am getting started with wire wrapping. Maybe someone can give me some input on my pieces and store. Thank you! With gratitude, Mareshah

    Http://www.etsy.com/shop/JouleCreation

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy