Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tennis Party!

I've been playing league tennis for over 15 years and somehow, throughout that entire time, I've managed to avoid becoming a team captain. Well, this year, I decided it was my turn to take over that duty and with a team of amazing women, I'm sure this season will be a lot of fun!

As team captain, I thought we should start off the season with a PARTY! This time of year, what better theme could there be than Autumn?!... with a little tennis mixed in, of course!


As with most of my decorating, this party began with a trip to the thrift store. I bought two wood racquets for a $1.99 each. I knew I would need a way to display the racquets so I bought a wood crate, also $1.99.

My next trip was to a local farm. It happened to be the last day of the season they would be open so with amazing discounts, I purchased all the colorful gourds I needed for less than $6!



I propped the racquets up inside the crate. The addition of a few gourds held them securely in place. Then I added a few fresh flowers for a bit of color and life. These tennis ball vases are super easy to make. I cut a slit into the top and bottom of a tennis ball (the bottom slit is only necessary if the water tube is longer than the ball is tall) and then inserted a water tube with a flower.



I wanted to give everyone a captain's gift and a Good Luck Penny Charm seemed to be the perfect thing!

 

I hammered the heck out of a penny (hopefully I didn't hammer the luck out of it! teehee) I used a disc cutter to make a small brass circle. I stamped an initial into the brass circle and hammered around the edge for texture. I drilled a hole in each side of the brass circle. I then laid it onto of the penny for alignment and drilled holes in the penny. I cut a short length of dark annealed steel wire which would become the staple to secure the two circles. I filed and hammered one end of the wire and then inserted it through both circles with the hammered end at the front. I used pliers to bend it into a staple to attach the two circles. I trimmed the wire at the back and filed it smooth and hammered to secure. I drilled a hole at the top and then slightly domed the entire piece. To finish it off, I brushed a small dab of Novacan Black Patina onto the brass circle and then wiped it off to darken the initial and then inserted a jump ring.




So far, my Penny Charm seems to be working. I've won a couple of matches and it even helped out my bowling game!

I was trying to come up with an inexpensive and fun way to package the Good Luck Penny Charm and thought a Tennis Ball Gift Bag would work quite well! Old tennis balls are free and easy to find at my house.




I used a serrated knife to cut the top off a tennis ball. It's a bit tricky, so be very careful not to cut yourself. I drilled a hole into each side of the ball near the top opening. I inserted a steel wire through the holes and secured to form a handle. I hammered the wire handle for texture and to add strength. I tied a fabric ribbon and silk leaf to one side of the handle. I then used raffia to tie the charm onto the handle.



 I filled each ball basket with yummy treats!



For the final arrangement I placed the crate with racquets in the center of my table with more gourds and the ball gift bags around it.


It was a super fun party and the ladies loved their gift!


Thanks for stopping by!
 
 Sharing at: I Gotta Create!: Wildly Original Party , Distressed Donna Down Home: Make It Monday, That DIY Party: DIY Show Off, Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday, Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. I am passing this idea on to a friend who is captain of her tennis team. You are so clever with the tennis ball gift baskets. The lucky penny pendant is beautiful. Thank you for sharing this idea at Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure they did love their gift! So creative, and I love the charms! Looks like a fun gathering! Nice to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute cute , love your book cover bracelets!
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy